Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Right Way to Get Media Attention

While looking around to find some sites that help with creating and designing custom pens to do a bit of advertising for me I came a crossed an article on the same level. It talks about being an unknown with a great idea and what you can do to become a household name, celebrity because of the idea, or at least known in the arena you are involved in.

Most entrepreneurs I know think that when they achieve success, fame will follow. And now that I have made the transition from business to academia, I can also say that my academic friends think that big discoveries automatically lead to big press.

They're dreaming. Ralph Waldo Emerson was wrong when he said, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door." The reality is that even if you did, no one would find you. To be known, you have to have a great story and tell it to the right people.

I've co-founded two successful software companies. In the first, we grew into a $100 million revenue machine in five years and pulled off a successful initial public offering. But it seemed as if no one had ever heard of us. Out of frustration, we used to joke that we should change our motto to "We've never heard of you either."

full article

0 comments: