Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Impostor Syndrome

Any time you are in a position of teaching, giving advice, or offering a service that is supposed to increase someone else's business there can be the fear. The fear that you are unqualified to tell this guy what he should be doing. That you really don't know as much as you should, and that this guy is going to see right through you as an impostor. This is The Impostor Syndrome.

This is a very common fear among us that have been advice givers. No need to carry around wrinkle cream as this happens to everyone. I have definitely felt it before when I worked with much older clients that have been around for a while. Hearing "fake it til you make it" from other co-workers constantly as the theme of the day. Like they look at my youth and think to themselves that this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Actually, sometimes I didn't know as much as I thought, but I knew more than he did, and I knew how to find the info I needed anyways. Here's some advice.

0 comments: